Recipe of the Season-Broccoli Cheese Soup
Recipe of the season
(Vegan option below)
This recipe is from our own Farmer Jaisen, sharing this recipe from his grandmother:
Broccoli Cheese Soup
● 1/3 cup butter
●1 yellow onion, chopped
● 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or minced
● 1/3 cup all purpose flour
● 2 cups chicken stock
● 3 cups half-and-half, (or evaporated milk or regular milk)
● 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
● 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper, or to taste
● 1 teaspoon vegetable stock powder
● 1 teaspoon mustard powder
● 1 teaspoon garlic powder
● 1 pound broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
● 2 large carrots, peeled and grated
● 2 cups low fat sharp cheddar cheese
1. Melt the butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Fry the onion until fragrant (about 2 minutes).
Add in the garlic and cook for a further minute. Whisk in the flour and cook for a few minutes or until golden brown.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low and slowly pour in the chicken stock and half-and-half, stirring well to combine and dissolve the flour into the liquid. Season with salt and pepper, stock powder, mustard powder and garlic powder. Give it a good mix and allow to cook and thicken for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add in the broccoli and carrots, and gently simmer for another 20 minutes, until broccoli is completely tender. Mix in cheese and stir until just combined. Taste test and add in extra salt and/or pepper, if desired.
4. Serve with bread rolls
For a great vegan alternative, check out this "Vegan Cheesy Broccoli Soup" from Love and Lemons: